New Croton Dam helps supply one of the biggest cities in the world with it’s water needs.  It’s called the New Croton Dam because it replaced the original Croton Dam that was originally up stream from where the dam is not situated.  New York utilizes a series of reservoirs in the Catskill mountains to supply its needs.  The system has been under constant use since it’s construction in the late 1920’s.  Through manipulation of water in several reservoirs and delivering 95% of the cities needs are met by the gravity feed from this system.  The other 5% is pumped to help maintain water pressure.  When you stop and think about it, this is truly an amazing feat.

 

Leave a comment

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply